Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Rules & Street Error #1

Walk #2
It took Mr. Graham 7 years to walk all the streets of SF. I feel like I can do it in less. My advantage is living IN San Francisco and not really enjoying taking Muni. I already walk 2.5
miles to work and back everyday so just altering my daily course should help me bust through a certain number of streets relatively quickly.

I decided to try a new way to work this morning and headed up Clayton to Oak, all the way to Gough. Around Oak and Laguna I passed an old freeway off-ramp which has been converted into a community farm. It's not much to look at here, but there's a lot of cool stuff happening. I didn't check it out for too long because it looked like bee keeping is their latest venture, but there were lots of trees, plants and compost. Hooray for turning something unsightly into community bonding via greening the city! Unfortunately, I was short on time, which seems to be a running theme, so I had to get a move on. Gough to Golden Gate to Van Ness (for morning tea from Pete's) to Eddy to Polk to POH.

New rule: There is no time in the morning for variations. There is no time for discovery, finding new cafes or shops, and there is no time for attention to detail. From here forward, my walk to work, will be the same old tried and true route with the sole focus of (crazy as it sounds) getting to work. Adventures will only happen on the way home.
Total mileage: 2.44

Walk #3
After work I had errands to run so I took a stroll through the Tenderloin to Union Square for a little shoe shopping (ironically, I did NOT buy walking shoes) I kept it pretty basic on the walk back. I went down Market and as I walked to work down Oak, I naturally decided to take Fell home. It seemed like my walk was going pretty uneventful until I found my first hidden gem.

The city of San Francisco is an awesome walking city. On almost every street corner, the street names are
stamped into the cement. But if you pay enough attention, you will find tiny misspellings and errors in the names. The street name will be stamped on all 4 corners of each intersection for miles and miles and on one corner of Steiner St, at Fell, you may notice this:


What happened to the 'i'? It was on the other 3 corners. And it is probably correct on every other corner for the length of Steiner St, but somehow this one is wrong. I am CONSUMED by this. Is a city worker bored and trying to entertain him/herself while stamping fresh pavement? Is it actually an accident? It seems unlikely. I'm on a mission to find ALL of these. I love them. If you know of any, please share!
From Steiner or "Stener" and Fell it was a straight shot home.
Total mileage: 4.55

No comments:

Post a Comment