Monday, November 15, 2010

Same Old Thing I Did Last Week

Walk # 35

Another gorgeous day in San Francisco, another walk through the streets. There was lots of excitement on today's adventure which started from work on Hyde, not to be confused with:
Steven Hyde That '70s Show


Of course, there was this:
I think I need to start keeping a tally of: Incorrect Spelling vs. Missing Letters vs. Correct Letters, Wrong Order vs. Correct Letters, Wrong Direction vs. Numbers as Letters (not including ones as I's because those are far too rampant). 1 point for Correct Letters, Wrong Order. All those consonants in the middle sort of freak me out.

Before heading down to the water, I got this awesome view (opposite from yesterday's Bay Bridge view.)

Descending Hyde Street, I witnessed one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Minding my own business waiting to cross the street, I heard honking and turned to see one car sideswipe another and I watched as the car
bounced off and FLIPPED OVER landing UPSIDE DOWN!! I stood there like an idiot for a second before I
realized I needed to be calling 911. (Shout out to the 911 operators who were super nice and the first responders who were there in less than 90 seconds. Phenomenal.) Luckily, several other citizens whose brains work faster (and apparently weren't afraid of the potential mess that could have been in the car) rushed over to help the driver who managed to get out of the car and was stumbling around. I've seen overturned cars before, but never seen one actually over turn, and I've never seen an overturned car on a residential city street! How fast was he going to flip that car over?!?! CRAZY! I tried to help the police as much as I could but they wanted details I didn't have so I left it to the driver of a third car who saw it all. (I know, I know - SUPER low class to snap the photo and even lower class to post it. BUT in my defense, there was no blood and there was no immediate danger. And you can see everyone talking to the police about what happened trying to be helpful. And the car is upside down! On Bay Street!! I know, I know, I'm a horrible person . . . )

Needless to say, the whole experience was a little jarring and certainly changed the tone of my walk. I took Hyde to Jefferson, crossed through Maritime Park, to Polk, up a wee bit to Lombard which I followed all the way to the Presidio. I wanted to bust out some side streets or more of the Marina but I lost a lot of time and it was getting dark.

I turned from Lombard to Lyon until Bay and this stunning San Francisco landmark.
I ended my adventure my wiggling my way to MJ's house for dinner.

Total mileage: 5.79

No comments:

Post a Comment