Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Everyone Loves A Parade

Walk #33

Today was the victory parade for our World Series Champion Giants!

I took Haight to Broderick to Waller to Buchanan to Fell to Market (to hit some random blocks I had missed) and met up with Jess at her office downtown. We had a bird's eye view of the parade:













It was hard to see a lot of the guys but it was a pretty spectacular place to watch the festivities without being over crowded. And we probably saw way more than the folks on the street. (Though all the people that climbed ON TOP OF THE BUS probably had the best views.)



After lunch I took a stroll on 2nd St down from Market. And it looks like the San Francisco Street Stampers have struck again!

On first glance, it looks as though the 'S' is backwards.
But on closer inspection, I think it's an '8' that they creatively altered. Good effort if they were missing the 'S' stamp, but backwards execution.

And speaking of backwards....
Jessamyn tipped me off to this and I have NO idea what the hell is happening here.
Even reversing it doesn't really help with its awkwardness.
Seriously, what is THAT? At least the letters are in the correct order . . . .


I stopped by AT&T Park to soak up some more orange and black ambiance and made my way along King to 5th then Berry, 7th to Hopper, Wisconsin to 16th to Carolina, where I found the home of the "Cable Cars" that had been featured in the parade!

From there, I took 15th St as far home as I could and I found a lot of awesomeness along the way.
Had to take a brief detour from Potrero to 16th and it was super fun that I did.

First, I passed by the site of the Giants original playing field, Seals Stadium.

They played here for the first couple of seasons after they arrived from New York while they waited for Candlestick to be built. Fun fact: the Giants first game in San Francisco was against none other then the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The Giants won 8-0. :)

Shortly after the move to Candlestick, Seals Stadium was demolished. Now there's a mini mall here. Which in and of itself is not exciting, but Sports Basement is across the street. Very exciting. I resisted the urge to go in. I can never get out of that place without spending crazy amounts of money.

Anyway . . . .
Secondly, before making my way back onto 15th from Harrison I found this. So close . . . .
Last one for today. When I reached Van Ness (or So Van Ness) I came across this. It's a little faded, but we definitely have some backwardsness happening again. N's and S's are hard.
And finally, I passed an Episcopalian Church. The back side of which was along an alley. In the Mission, you know what that means: mural time!
The lighting sucked but you can still see the general concept.




















San Francisco is so awesome.

I continued on until 15th ended. I circled around Buena Vista Park and ended where I began.

Total mileage: 9.42


And, because I can't resist, a final treasure from the San Francisco Giants 2010 post season. *love*

No comments:

Post a Comment