Monday, October 4, 2010

Murals in the Mission

Walk #25

I had some extra time so I left work and headed down to walk some alleys in the Mission.

Heading down Van Ness, I should've known this was going to be an awesome walk when straight away I found this. I recognize the 'T' is missing because they had to repave the accessible sidewalk. Outside of that, I'm pretty sure this is not how you spell "twelfth"


Then just a few blocks down the road I came across 19 teerts. It could be a thing. Or the street stampers don't take an iota of pride in their work. Either way.

On my way down South Van Ness I reaffirmed my belief that street stampers have no sense of uniformity. I get the first two, but Van Ness Ave South. Really? My favorite is So Van Ness. I'm going to start using it as my new SF phrase: "That is so Van Ness".

I walked all the way to Cesar Chavez on So Van Ness and then I walked out and back the alleys between 24th and 26th: Treat, Lucky, Horace, Virgil, Cypress, Lilac, Osage, Orange, and Poplar. A few smelled of spray paint and a few smelled of urine. Each one was full of artistic expression. By far these alleys are the most colorful discovery of the City. Here are just a few of my faves.





















Good Luck Charms?

you know!

high tech!

As I was about to depart this vivid section of the city I found myself down a different alley (Juri), full of aspiring muralists:

I finished on Guerrero and took myself to 28th where I found myself hiking UP to movie night.



Total mileage: 6.55


SIDE TRIP:
I got a ride halfway home so I only had to walk up Church to Hermann to Steiner to Page. But this short jaunt (even after todays long haul) made me giddy.

First there was this. But there was no street sign to help me determine if this was Herman St or Hermann St. Clearly, one was wrong.

Then, I determined it is, in fact Hermann St (double N) but the corner of Hermann and Fillmore said this:
You gotta keep your eyes open around here . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment