Friday, October 15, 2010

The Long Way Home

Walk #27

It was a beautiful day in the city, so I decided to take the long way home. From work, I took Golden Gate to 6th St. I'm certain I saw a drug deal of some sort, so I just put my head down and kept walking.
At Howard, I ran into Defenestration.

Basically, an artist, along with a team of volunteers, turned an old abandoned building into art. The building is covered in furniture - beds, bath tubs, chairs armoires-seemingly being thrown from the windows. (get it?) It's pretty fun and the pictures don't really do it justice.












I turned on Brannan, you know to avoid walking on the freeway, and hit up some alleys until I turned down 7th. There was this awesome warehouse-y garage with some retro furniture and a few guys chilling with their beers enjoying the weather but hanging in the shade (people after my own heart) but the pictures came out crappy. Sad. From 7th I worked my way down to the beginning of 17th Street which I had decided I would walk from start to finish.

It was fun to be on 17th Street in the Potrero Hill area mostly because it was totally reminiscent of my marathon training days with the >1 team. At the same time, it made me feel guilty about passing up running for walking and reminded me to find a balance. I digress . . .

At 17th and Florida, I found this:
The street stampers never disappoint!

Then I found Mission Police Stations - Old and New. Dear SFPD, The old (right) building is way better.
Add Image





























Down the road, I found the Women's Building where I may to need to get involved...

As I was approaching Market Street, I had to use the bano but had no cash. So a cute cafe was out of the question. Luckily, there was a 24 hour fitness near by. I knew my gym membership was good for something! The detour also helped lead to a few discoveries 1) the gym in the Castro is way worth trekking to for spin class, 2) new rule for the adventure: ALWAYS carry cash when I walk! I am supposed to be discovering San Francisco not running into the gym or Pete's or Sbux everytime I need a rest stop. 3) Street Stampers strike again:

I like to think of this not as 15th Sheet, but as 15th-ish. Like they just missed the 'I'. "Where is 24 hour fitness?" "It's on Market around 15th-ish." Awesome!

After the pit stop it was a straight shot up to the end of 17th, down Shrader, home.

Total mileage: 8.18

No comments:

Post a Comment