Sunday, October 3, 2010

Castro Street Fair Steptacular

Walk #24

While the San Francisco Giants were winning the NL West, I was working a booth at the Castro Street Fair. Naturally, I decided to walk to the fair, and naturally, I was running late. I went as direct as I could without too much repeating. Then I had a bit of extra time so I cruised up and down Beaver St because it seemed funny. ( I know, I know, it's like I'm 15).


After my scheduled shift I joined some friends and we walked around the fair a bit, but it was officially too many people for me and I had to get out of there and get walking! I opted to go the long way so I could walk with Randy and have some company as we huffed and puffed our way up the hills. We walked up Noe and when I say up I mean UP. I wish this picture was a better representation of our hike. Oh well. Trust me, it was up.


As we walked Randy inquired about any new street misspellings I have found. Sadly, there hasn't been much walking recently and the answer was no. But as we crested Noe and began a descent, we crossed Alvarado St. And this made us really happy. Like finding a hidden treasure Randy said.

Um, you left out an 'A' street stamper. I heart you.


We turned out on 23rd and I bid a fond farewell to my drinking, er ... walking, buddy.
From 23rd to Grand View, I went up this spiral walkway to cross Market and got this view of the City.














My fear of heights, especially over major traffic thoroughfares, didn't let me admire the foggy beauty of the scene for long.

Across Market, I headed toward Clayton with a detour on Romain St. As I was on this piece of Clayton yesterday, I decided to mix it up (literally up) and take the Pemberton Stairway. It was very pleasant and in the third section of the stairs (the less uniformed section) I met a resident who was out doing some gardening. It looked like way too much work for me, but she seemed to be enjoying it quite a bit. Odd.



I emerged from the stairs on Crown Terrace, a street that really seemed to be more driveway than anything else. The one car that passed me definitely gave me a look like "what the heck are you doing here" quickly followed by "WE'RE #1!!!" Once they noticed my Giants sweatshirt. I think they were coming home from the game.



I turned onto Twin Peaks and found this house. Or is it a castle?



I took Twin Peaks to Carmel, (detour up to the end of Cole),
up Shrader to Belgrave which led me to Tank Hill.
I have never heard of Tank Hill and wasn't really expecting
to find anything at the end of Belgrave.
So I was pleasantly surprised when I found this.


A dirt staircase? Yes please!




It was beautiful at the top, though again I found myself enjoying the views of a city ensconced if fog. Here's the northern view. I recognize it's mostly hospital and a bit of Golden Gate Park but you can almost make out the GG Bridge in the background. (And I think you can see my house. . . )

From Tank Hill, it was down Stanyan towards home.


Total mileage: 6.68


No comments:

Post a Comment