Saturday, October 2, 2010

Back to the Streets


Walk #23


It's been a long time between walks! But after all that walking last month, my feet needed a rest like whoa. So I headed to the great Northwest Peninsula of Washington and rested by the lake and in the hot tub. Check out my freizeitsocken...


After I was sufficiently rested, relaxed and vegged out, I was super excited to get back to the City and really excited to walk again! The last few days of September I spent busting out different routes to and from work which were mostly uneventful.


Todays short jaunt home from Harvey's was a little funner though so here goes. First, I ran into some volunteers, some friends of volunteers and an Orpheum usher all within two blocks of the starting point. Popular little place, the Castro.

As I headed up 18th Street I came across this:
Now, I recognize that technically the street stampers have not made an error here. According to the city of San Francisco this is spelled correctly. However, I think I am a wee bit justified in considering it a misspelling. As I've always said regarding my name: No unnecessary letters! Plus, that just looks crazy with all those S's.


Alright, so I headed up 18th St and hit a couple of different side streets just for fun - Ord, Storrie, Hattie, Clover, Danvers.


As Danvers Street made me nostalgic for the North Shore, (and by the North Shore I really mean, Target, Pizzerea Uno and the movie theater - because why else would I have gone to Danvers) I looked up and thought, "how far have I walked???"
Turns out even in San Francisco there's a little love for the Red Sox Nation. I suppose there could be no connection at all to the Fenway Market (where there was no sign of New England sports teams anywhere) at the end of Danvers Street, but come on. It was literally screaming 'Massachusetts' at me.


I continued up to the end of 18th at Market Street where I crossed over to the beginning of Clayton. The problem with walking up in this neck of San Francisco is that up = fog. It would be awesome if this up section equalled a beautiful panoramic view of the bay, but alas, it was nothing but soupy gray. ( I know, I know, it is San Francisco after all and the fog is to be expected, heck I even like it 99% of the time. It just could've been a nice view.)

I almost crossed the street because it looked like there was no sidewalk on my side of the street, but on closer examination there were steps (yay!) so I kept on my path and found not only steps but a cute little community garden.
Apparently, this community garden has been around since 1960 and a group of friends has been maintaining it since it's creator passed away. It is a semi-awkward bit of land (oddly shaped, down a hill), but they've done a really neat job with the landscaping. It was pretty awesome.

From the garden I took Clayton to Ashbury home.

Total mileage: 2.27

No comments:

Post a Comment