Sunday, September 12, 2010

A big ol' loop

Walk #19

Today was literally the only day I had available to see the Impressionist Exhibit, Paris: City of Light, at the Legion of Honor. So I left home heading north. The journey there was pretty simple, Cole, Hayes, Stanyan - where I made a detour down a cul de sac where a really sweet golden retriever wanted to join me. Sadly, I had to leave him behind. Stanyan turns into Jordan. One left turn and the the next two miles were spent on California. Luckily, there were a couple of open houses - I could own my own home in SF for a mere $1.9 mil!- and then look:
Fall showed up! Alright, fine. It's weak sauce BUT we do have seasons. They're just subtle . . .
A long trek down California, a turn on 32nd, a few more cul-de-sacs, onto Clement, through the golf course and ta da: The Legion of Honor.

The exhibit wasn't necessarily my favorite but there were three or four pieces I loved so it was still worth the trek. I decided to shake the old Urban Spoon App on the iphone which lead me to the Garden House Cafe. Thank goodness it was close because I was starving. New walking rule: snacks and water required! Not only was I starving but it was also a bit chilly so I needed to sit down and warm up.
Mmmm soup! And sandwich and hot coco. The folks here were really friendly and the food was scrumptious. Highly recommend.

I tried to logically plan my return route. I decided that if I walked the outer
rim of the Richmond, I can later come back and basket weave the streets. So I walked Clement (which turned into Seal Rock). Coming up to the VA hospital there was a cute monument to the veterans.


I went down and back on Alta Mar, then 48th as far south as I could. There was an awesome view of the Dutch Windmill but the fog didn't lend itself to awesome photography opportunities.


At the end of 48th I followed Sutro Heights to 46th to Balboa. More cul-de-sacs though this one had stairs to go up, and different stairs to go down.

From Balboa I turned down La Playa. I know I said I was aiming for the outer rim of the Richmond, but I know eventually my run club will take me back out to the Great Highway, so I opted for the street a block in.

I went all the way down to Fulton (so I could completely check La Playa off the map) and circled back around onto Cabrillo. Which, like California, I followed for 3 miles.


Cabrillo was great. Some houses had fabulous, matching stained glass windows,
a port-o-potty had a warning,
and a pre-school creatively used old buckets for gardening.

When Cabrillo ran out, I continued onto McAllister which had this colorful home.


To end it out I went up and down Parsons, Parker to Fulton, Cole, Hayes and Clayton. Whew! And the final view of the day perfectly sums up the weather.

Sutro tower is there. I SWEAR!
Total Mileage: 10.84

No comments:

Post a Comment