Friday, September 10, 2010

TGIF


Walk #17
It's been months and months since I have had a weekend without any plans. For the first time in forever I will not be setting an alarm tomorrow morning. I have a totally clear agenda and I could not be happier. I am hoping that it will lead to a weekend of Recreational Walks. Walking for the fun of it versus the Functional/Destinational walks which I normally do.

Today, however was a mini combo of both, though more functional than anything else. I had to make a return at Costco (where, naturally, I stayed for a late lunch of free samples), wanted to pick up some pizza dough fixin's, hit Walgreens and head home. (My to-do list is super exciting, right? Just think, I spared you from sharing yesterdays walk which was a straight shot on Haight Street to get my dry cleaning. Huh, guess I didn't spare you after all.) Polk to 9th with a detour down Jessie street in honor of my awesome cousin, to Harrison.

After all the free sampling, I opted for a longer way home and went all the way
around Costco, back to Harrison, down an alley named Norfolk (like in my 'hood
back home) to Folsom. Found this group of primates hanging around, not sure what they were up
to.

Then found this mural on a building called "The Ultimate Cookie" I bet I know exactly what they were up to, except they were closed so no snickerdoodles for me. Sad.

Stopped at Rainbow Grocery, a far cooler Cooperative
than Arizmendi, then made my way to S Van Ness, Market and Duboce.



Moving right along (ha ha, because I just returned the Muppet Movie at Costco, turns out I already own it!) Duboce was a ton of fun. There's a bicycle only/Hilary walking section of Duboce behind Safeway. The cool part is, the awesome mural with the Ferry Building, Bay Bridge, and of course, Muni.
There were a ton of folks waiting to hop on the N-Judah and I wanted to invite all of
them to join me as I walked up the hill and passed the dog park. (I, of course, did beat the N to the next stop).

I regretted this choice of route when I reached the intersection at Castro and found myself another staircase which had to be carved into the sidewalk because the street is to steep. But I figured if the man with his toddler son and their pooch could do it, so could I. So up I went.








The end result was pretty awesome.
















From Duboce & Buena Vista E toward downtown From Buena Vista E toward the GG Bridge


Total Mileage: 4.24

No comments:

Post a Comment