Tuesday, September 7, 2010

From Poverty to Posh

Walk #16

Today's walk was the first in the series to really demonstrate the social stratification of SF. I basically walked down the same street, Eddy, for 2 miles. Staring in the Tenderloin, I encountered a several individuals strung out on drugs and two folks asked me for spare change. When I headed west, across Van Ness, I came across an Urban Share Community Garden Project at Eddy and Gough.
This is way more exciting to me then the one on Hayes where the freeway off ramp used to be. Last year, Eddy used to walk be my standard route and this used to be a vacant lot. Now look at it! They've produced over 1,000 lbs of produce! I gotta volunteer there.

As I continued on, I made an awkward loop at the end of Buchanan (a!) and Willow and found a group of folks pressure washing plates and cooking utensils in front of a dirt encrusted SUV with an airstream attached. Apparently they had a great time at Burning Man, but were extremely excited to get home to shower. :)

I passed through subsidized housing and crossed the "Divisadero divide", as it shall hence be known, into tree lined streets and overly expensive homes. What a difference a block makes, indeed.




I wish this photo conveyed how much up there was to the end of Eddy. At least it's a good visualization of today's walk. Sometimes the hills of San Francisco aren't all bad.



Total Mileage: 2.62

No comments:

Post a Comment