Monday, September 20, 2010

See ya later alley-gator

Walk #22

Being super lazy yesterday, and going out of town for a week tomorrow, I wanted to get in a substantial walk after work today. I decided to bust out the alleys of the T-Loin, finish out California street, and eliminate the Laurel Heights neighborhood.

Before I began, I noticed this was happening at the corner of Ellis and Polk.
It also happened, last week at Eddy and Polk. When I first saw it last week, I dismissed it in the morning but in the afternoon the street was freshly stamped and I thought how amazing it would be to MEET the street stamper himself! But today when I saw this, I PANICKED! What if the new street stamper is working to eliminate all of the mispellings and errors?!?! I need to find them all before this new street stamper strikes again!

Between Van Ness and Larkin, the alleys went like this: Willow, Ellis, Olive, O'Farrell, Myrtle, Geary, Cedar, Post, Hemlock, Sutter, Fern, Bush, Austin, and Pine. It was a LOT of zigzagging. It was a lot of avoiding folks sleeping on the street (including in front of the Great American Music Hall where 15 girls were lined up to see the one and only Hanson. Mmm bop ladies. Mmm bop.) It was a lot of giving space to peoples' "homes" and it was lot of zigzagging (yes, again!) At the end I stopped into a Starbucks which was inside a WellsFargo. Banking and tea, what a lovely combo.

Out on California street, I made a side trip down Orben Pl (or Middle depending on which end you read the street sign). I made it all the way to Spruce where I began to basketweave the Laurel Heights/Hill neighborhood. In my mind, this neighborhood is between California and Geary, Arguello and Masonic/Presidio.

Where I began was mostly flat but eventually I ran into the hill section of Laurel Hill. I also had to cut through a playground and a few alleys. Very different from the alleys of the TL. All of the streets here are very wide. Most of the homes have front lawns. And I passed a dozen folks pushing strollers. Again the dichotomy of my walks never ceases to amaze me.

At the edge of Euclid and Masonic I found the ole' bus barn. Oh Muni....


In the interest of full disclosure, I stopped at a Starbucks again. But you mustn't judge! Sometimes you just need a reliable restroom.






At the corner of Euclid and Comm Ave (as my the little piece of my heart that belongs to Massachusetts wants to say) I found this:
Dr. Mr. Streetstamping Man,
First CommonweAlth. Second, I know you're using the 'W' for the 'M'. I got my eyes on you . . . .


And finally as I wound my way home (by way of the pizza place) I saw this guy for the 3rd time. The first time was around 3:30 near the alleys of Larkin St, and I didn't think anything of it. Then I passed him on Masonic and Geary contemplating if it was the same guys. And finally on Haight Street towards home, I saw them collecting more cardboard boxes.
His truck was half empty when I first saw him. Quite the haul after winding their way (stalking me) through the city. Hooray recycling.

Total Mileage: 11.61

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea there was a Comm Ave in SF! I will have to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete